January 04, 2018
Perfect cold weather comfort food in our home! One of our favorites!
3 acorn squash
1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
1 onion, minced
3 cloves gloves, minced
1 red pepper, chopped
1.5 pound venison
2 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespooms cumin
1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes, chopped
(If meat is to "gamey" for you, add 1/4 cup of tomato paste)
1. Preheat oven to 400`F
2. Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise, removing the seeds and pulp. Place facedown in a backing pan, with about 1/4 inch water.
3. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until squash is soft.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add in oil, and when hot stir in onions and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, being careful not to burn the garlic.
5. Stir in peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes longer.
6. Add in venison and spices and brown until venisonis cooked through.
7. Strain off any excess liquid from the venison, and stir in tomatoes, heating through.
8. Pour out any of the water in the pan with the squash, and place faceup. Fill with venison mixture and serve, topped with your favorite salsa.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Be the first to know
Get deals and discounts delivered to your inbox.